Monday, December 20, 2010

Task 11: Annotated Bib

 Annotated Bibliography

Moral Personality, Perversity, and Original Sin
By: Wetzel, James. Journal of Religious Ethics, 23(1), 3-25, 23 p. Spring 1995. Abstract Available (AN PHL2135800)
       I am interested in this text for the discussion of vicarious guilt and vicarious punishment.  It is mostly religious in its formulation and may prove to be less useful that I hope but nevertheless I plan to review the author’s idea of vicariousness.
By: VENDLER, Z. Revue de Metaphysique et de Morale, 84, 161-173, 13 p. April-June 1979. (AN PHL1082528)
Explores imagination and “vicariousness”.  Help to identify the notion of “vicariousness” as well as further develop my understanding of imagination, its root and usefulness.
In and Out: The Dynamics of Imagination in the Engagement with Narratives
By: Giovannelli, Alessandro. Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 66(1), 11-24, 14 p. Winter 2008.
This source explores identification, empathy, and Richard Wollheim’s “central imagining, and “onlooker” theories (e.g., Noel Carroll’s and Matthew Kieran’s).”  The discussion of sympathy and empathy aids in my understanding of their relationship to living vicariously.
Passionate Views: Film, Cognition, And Emotion
This book is mostly an analysis of film and aspects of the trade.  Uses examples in film of aesthetic value as well as other attributes to show how relationships are made between the viewer and the characters.  In some later sections, though, useful material on allegiance, empathy, sympathy, appeal to senses, catharsis and pleasure from vicariousness are bountiful.  Illustrations of the concepts will be easily recognizable due to the famous films in which they employ to make their point. 
Philosophy of Film and Motion Pictures
Blackwell Philosophy Anthologies
Edited by: Noel Carroll and Janhee Choi
Sections in this anthology apply to my field of study.  They explore the aesthetic value in relating the viewer to the film.  This notion ties into the explanation of how living vicariously occurs both consciously and subconsciously.  Namely, the concept of illustrating dreams, the feeling of empathy for others (characters), identification and emotion together, virtue theory, and even the limits that film have.  I would like to use all of these excerpts to better develop my own argument but more so than anything else this collection helped me to realize the limitations of my theory.  I will need to work out the limitations of the vicarious experience.  I have relied too much on the empirical claim that it is beneficial and therefore necessary.  I will use the section on limitation in film and adapt it to the limitations that real life puts on the vicarious experience.  It will be difficult to prove that vicarious living is a necessity to all so I will try to prove its worth and defend its usage.

Just an interesting excerpt I found.  I hope to find where it came from, but nevertheless it helps in flushing out the theory of vicariousness and applies logical formulas that are helpful in defending it.  Also, this selection discusses forms of vicariousness that I had not developed in my thesis.  Namely, real learning and real knowledge obtained “second source” like mathematical equations.  There are illustrations for the vicarious system as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment